Tuesday, August 17, 2021

KJV or NIV?

 

James 1:5

King James Version

5 If any of you lack wisdom, 

let him ask of God, 

that giveth to all men liberally, 

and upbraideth not; 

and it shall be given him.


Which Bible version to study?

KJV (King James Version)?

Or NIV (New International Version)?

When prodded to look into NIV, I said, I'll pray to God for direction.

Within the same day today, I was led by the HOLY SPIRIT to begin by comparing the following verses (which I use a lot).

First, in KJV; and then, in NIV.

All notes are mine.

So, let's have a look:

Romans 11:4

King James Version

4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? 

I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, 

who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.


Romans 11:4

New International Version

4 And what was God’s answer to him? 

“I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.


(NOTE: I noticed NIV did not include the word "image". In my work as scribe for GOD, that greatly matters.)



Colossians 1:16

King James Version

16 For by him were all things created

that are in heaven, 

and that are in earth, 

visible and invisible, 

whether they be thrones, 

or dominions, 

or principalities, 

or powers: 

all things were created by him, 

and for him:


Colossians 1:16

New International Version

16 For in him all things were created

things in heaven and on earth, 

visible and invisible, 

whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; 

all things have been created through him and for him.


(NOTE: "By him" is not "in him", or "through him". Big difference these tricky prepositions. Also, KJV speaks of dominions and principalities. NIV used "rulers" and "authorities" instead.)



1 John 5:19

King James Version

19 And we know that we are of God, 

and the whole world lieth in wickedness.


1 John 5:19

New International Version

19 We know that we are children of God, 

and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.


(NOTE: KJV implied a "state" of the world; NIV indicated who was "responsible".)



Ephesians 6:12

King James Version

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, 

but against principalities, 

against powers, 

against the rulers of the darkness of this world, 

against spiritual wickedness in high places.


Ephesians 6:12

New International Version

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, 

but against the rulers, 

against the authorities, 

against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.


(NOTE: In the angelic realm, there really are "principalities and powers", such as the fallen one having been a cherubim.)



1 Peter 5:8-9

King James Version

8 Be sober, 

be vigilant; 

because your adversary the devil, 

as a roaring lion, 

walketh about, 

seeking whom he may devour:

9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, 

knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.


1 Peter 5:8-9

New International Version

8 Be alert and of sober mind. 

Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 

9 Resist him, 

standing firm in the faith, 

because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.


(NOTE: I just love how KJV best put it. Full of grace, and continuity. A seamless whole.)


Ephesians 2:2

King James Version

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, 

according to the prince of the power of the air

the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:


Ephesians 2:2

New International Version

2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air

the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.


(NOTE: The KJV speaks of the evil one as "prince", among other names, titles, and descriptions. I'm really all about precision.)



2 Corinthians 4:4

King James Version

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, 

lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ

who is the image of God, 

should shine unto them.


2 Corinthians 4:4

New International Version

4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, 

so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ

who is the image of God.


(NOTE: To my mind, the phrase, "god of this age", refers to a "period"; not the same as "god of this world".)



Revelation 12:12

King James Version

12 Therefore rejoice, 

ye heavens, 

and ye that dwell in them. 

Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea

for the devil is come down unto you, 

having great wrath, 

because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.


Revelation 12:12

New International Version

12 Therefore rejoice, 

you heavens

    and you who dwell in them!

But woe to the earth and the sea,

    because the devil has gone down to you!

He is filled with fury,

    because he knows that his time is short.”


(NOTE: Big difference this word "inhabiters", missing from NIV. I cannot rely on implication. I prefer precision.)


John 15:5

King James Version

5 I am the vine, 

ye are the branches: 

He that abideth in me, 

and I in him, 

the same bringeth forth much fruit: 

for without me ye can do nothing.


John 15:5

New International Version

5 “I am the vine; 

you are the branches. 

If you remain in me and I in you, 

you will bear much fruit; 

apart from me you can do nothing.


(NOTE: Somehow, the use of the phrase, "without me" is more direct, so my spirit prefers the KJV translation.)



1 Timothy 2:5-6

King James Version

5 For there is one God, 

and one mediator between God and men

the man Christ Jesus;

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, 

to be testified in due time.


1 Timothy 2:5-6

New International Version

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind

the man Christ Jesus, 

6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. 

This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.


(NOTE: "Men" or "mankind"? "To be testified in due time" or "has now been witnessed to at the proper time"? I sincerely prefer the KJV version Spirit led me to.)


By no means am I a Bible scholar.

And by no means is this an exhaustive comparative study of each verse of the 66 books in the Bible.

That would take many lifetimes to do so.

But I already knew my answer.

I stick to KJV.

It's where Spirit led me.

RIGHT from the start.

To study, and to teach.

The HOLY SPIRIT even gave me a fitting verse, for the work I do:

2 Timothy 2:15

King James Version

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God

a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, 

rightly dividing the word of truth.


He knew I would carefully sift through Scripture, allowing Him to take over my lessons -- for EVERY word, EVERY phrase, EVERY verse, EVERY thought.

Strangely, and mercifully, being childlike, and a baby Christian, I had no difficulty understanding the King James Version.

I attribute all that to the SPIRIT of GOD.

If I had not read the Bible almost all my life, there were only FOUR reasons:

1. I was not born again yet.

2. Spirit was not upon me yet.

3. Thus, I did not know which version to read.

3. And I did not know where to begin.


But once GOD made me born again over 23 months ago, He anointed me with His SPIRIT, so I may understand Scripture.

EVERYTHING became clear.

Even simple.

KJV it was for me.

It's what I'm comfortable with.

I feel God's WORD and POWER in it.

What may seem archaic to some, may turn out to be clear, simple, and precise -- as it did for me.

I did pray for JESUS to lead me to His words -- EXACTLY as He delivered it.

So, let's start reading GOD's GLORIOUS GOSPEL!


Related material:

DEVOTION to the WORD of GOD

How the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD Taught Me

JESUS Led Me to FOCUS on His RETURN

KING JAMES VERSION (KJV description)

What is the history of the King James Bible?

NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV description)

How Many Versions Of The Bible Are There? (Answered)

List of English Bible translations

The WORKMAN's RESPONSIBILITY

BIBLE versions

BASIS for BIBLE versions

WORD of GOD


Image source: Wiki Clipart


MIRACLE in itself

  Matthew 17:20 King James Version 20 And Jesus said unto them,  Because of your unbelief:  for verily I say unto you,  If ye have faith as ...