Wednesday, July 14, 2021

The PURPOSE of affliction

 


Job 23:10

King James Version

10 But he knoweth the way that I take: 

when he hath tried me, 

I shall come forth as gold.


Why is there hardship on earth?

For what purpose?

To what end?

For whose end?

Scripture's got the answers.

Psalm 66:10-12

King James Version

10 For thou, O God, hast proved us: 

thou hast tried usas silver is tried.

11 Thou broughtest us into the net; 

thou laidst affliction upon our loins.

12 Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; 

we went through fire and through water: 

but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.


Proverbs 17:3

King James Version

3 The fining pot is for silver, 

and the furnace for gold

but the Lord trieth the hearts.


Isaiah 48:10-12

King James Version

10 Behold, 

I have refined thee

but not with silver

I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

11 For mine own sake, 

even for mine own sake, 

will I do it

for how should my name be polluted? 

and I will not give my glory unto another.

12 Hearken unto me, 

O Jacob and Israel, my called

I am he; 

I am the first, 

I also am the last.


Jeremiah 9:6-7

King James Version

6 Thine habitation is in the midst of deceit; 

through deceit they refuse to know me, 

saith the Lord.

7 Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts

Behold, 

I will melt them, and try them

for how shall I do for the daughter of my people?


Zechariah 13:8-9

King James Version

8 And it shall come to pass, 

that in all the land

saith the Lord

two parts therein shall be cut off and die; 

but the third shall be left therein.

9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, 

and will refine them as silver is refined, 

and will try them as gold is tried: 

they shall call on my name

and I will hear them: 

I will say

It is my people

and they shall say

The Lord is my God.


Isaiah 33:11-14

King James Version

11 Ye shall conceive chaff, 

ye shall bring forth stubble: 

your breath, as fire, 

shall devour you.

12 And the people shall be as the burnings of lime: 

as thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire.

13 Hear, ye that are far off, 

what I have done

and, ye that are near, acknowledge my might.

14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; 

fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites

Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? 

who among us 

shall dwell with everlasting burnings?


Jeremiah 6:27-30

King James Version

27 I have set thee for a tower and a fortress 

among my people, 

that thou mayest know and try their way.

28 They are all grievous revolters, 

walking with slanders: 

they are brass and iron; 

they are all corrupters.

29 The bellows are burned, 

the lead is consumed of the fire; 

the founder melteth in vain

for the wicked are not plucked away.

30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, 

because the Lord hath rejected them.


Romans 5:1-6

King James Version

5 Therefore being justified by faith, 

we have peace with God 

through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 By whom also we have access by faith 

into this grace wherein we stand

and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3 And not only so

but we glory in tribulations also: 

knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4 And patience, experience; 

and experience, hope:

5 And hope maketh not ashamed; 

because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts 

by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

6 For when we were yet without strength, 

in due time Christ died for the ungodly.


Romans 8:17-18

King James Version

17 And if children, 

then heirsheirs of God, 

and joint-heirs with Christ; 

if so be that we suffer with him, 

that we may be also glorified together.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings 

of this present time 

are not worthy to be compared 

with the glory which shall be revealed in us.


1 Corinthians 3:13-15

King James Version

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: 

for the day shall declare it, 

because it shall be revealed by fire; 

and the fire shall try every man's work 

of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide 

which he hath built thereupon, 

he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, 

he shall suffer loss: 

but he himself shall be saved; 

yet so as by fire.


1 Corinthians 10:13

King James Version

13 There hath no temptation taken you 

but such as is common to man

but God is faithful, 

who will not suffer you to be tempted 

above that ye are able; 

but will with the temptation also make a way 

to escape, 

that ye may be able to bear it.


1 Peter 1:6-7

King James Version

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, 

though now for a season, if need be, 

ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

7 That the trial of your faith, 

being much more precious than of gold 

that perisheth, 

though it be tried with fire, 

might be found 

unto praise and honour and glory 

at the appearing of Jesus Christ:


1 Peter 4:12-13

King James Version

12 Beloved, 

think it not strange 

concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, 

as though some strange thing happened unto you:

13 But rejoice, 

inasmuch as ye are partakers 

of Christ's sufferings; that, 

when his glory shall be revealed, 

ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.


1 Peter 5:8-10

King James Version

8 Be sober, be vigilant; 

because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, 

walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, 

knowing that the same afflictions 

are accomplished in your brethren 

that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, 

who hath called us unto his eternal glory 

by Christ Jesus, 

after that ye have suffered a while, 

make you perfect, 

stablish, strengthen, settle you.


James 1:2-4

King James Version

2 My brethren, 

count it all joy 

when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, 

that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

4 But let patience have her perfect work, 

that ye may be perfect and entire, 

wanting nothing.


James 1:12

King James Version

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: 

for when he is tried, 

he shall receive the crown of life, 

which the Lord hath promised to them 

that love him.


Revelation 3:10

King James Version

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, 

I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, 

which shall come upon all the world, 

to try them that dwell upon the earth.


Related material:

The REFINER's fire

GOD is a CONSUMING FIRE

Bible DISCOVERY 20: WHY God ALLOWS Good and Evil to Coexist


Image: PIX1861


Updated 17 February 2023


EYES of the LORD

  Job 31:4 King James Version 4 Doth not he see my ways,  and count all my steps ? Does GOD really see EVERYTHING? What does He look for? W...